Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, April 09, 2006

More delicious food

It seems Sunday is my day for going nuts in the kitchen. Today, after grabbing a few things at Whole Foods, I made Chocolate Almond Butter Bars from Vive Le Vegan by Dreena Burton:


I then made Chocolate Chip Cookies, also from Vive:



And then I made the Lemon-Herb Tofu and the Mellow Millet-Quinoa Pilaf with Red Quinoa and toasted pine nuts in place of the hemp seed nuts (I saw hemp seeds--are those the same?), along with glazed carrots and snow peas:



I used the red quinoa for color contrast. I think it looks really pretty, and it was quite tasty with a few sprinkles of Herbamare. The tofu turned out to be really pretty and very tart. I always get worried when I'm baking tofu because until it's done, it just isn't pretty. I am also kicking myself for not following the instructions on the nut butter bars. I cut back on the puffed rice cereal because I didn't think the nut butter mixture was enough, and I was afraid they would fall apart as did another recipe I tried. Still, it's pretty tasty. I will do my best not to eat all the chocolate chip cookies, as deliciously chewy as they are, so as not to send my boyfriend into a major sulk. If I do, maybe the nut butter bars and "cow pies" will do.

I almost certainly won't be going nuts in the kitchen next Sunday because on Tuesday (nine days from now), my boyfriend and I are headed up to New York. We have tickets to see Threepenny Opera with Nellie McKay, Cyndi Lauper, and Alan Cumming. New York has more veg*an restaurants than I can shake a stick at, and even a few raw places, which I will absolutely want to try, as I've never really had a totally raw meal before. The raw lifestyle isn't for me--I like cooked food too much, and comfort food is cooked food--but I'm certainly interested in seeing what it's like. The last time I was in NYC, two years ago, we found a natural foods store a few blocks from our hotel that had products from a raw "bakery." The apple cake was absolutely to die for, and I hope I can find it again at another store.

Washington, DC, has one huge advantage over NYC, though: We have Sticky Fingers Bakery.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home