Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Going nuts in the kitchen


I did a lot of cooking today. First, I made the "cow pies" from La Dolce Vegan! and then I made cinnamon donut holes. The donut holes sort of collapsed while cooking, so they aren't very pretty, but they are really, really yummy. I wonder if it's because I couldn't fill the pan all the way or because I used Willow Run margarine instead of the shortening the recipe called for.

For dinner, I made BBQ pomegranate tofu and millet polenta from Vegan With a Vengeance. The barbecue sauce turned out nice and thick, but there wasn't much pomegranate flavor. I might use a little more pomegranate molasses next time. Still, it was very tasty. Pomegranate molasses, by the way, is just thickened pomegranate juice. I found a bottle at the local Whole Foods in the syrups/molasses/honey/baking stuff section. The millet polenta is supposed to be served with a sun-dried tomato pesto, but since I didn't have all the ingredients and it would have been very difficult in my tiny kitchen with everything else going on, I just drizzled a little BBQ sauce on it. I probably should have fried it up more, but it was still very tasty.

Earlier this morning, I did a little leafleting near the Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center) because the circus is in town. Groan. There is something wrong about making wild animals do tricks for people's amusement. The animals are horribly abused and live in tiny, cramped cages. Sadly, many of the families passing by did not seem particularly receptive to our attempts to inform them of the slavery and brutality that is inherent in every animal circus. When elephants freak out and go on a rampage, it's indicative they've had enough of being someone's entertainment. Or perhaps this cartoon says it best. If you are going to go to a circus, go to one where all the performers are willing participants and are paid for their work.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Dreena said…

    Danielle, this looks very good!! I love sauces that are plentiful enough to pour over grains - yum!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I really must incorporate pomegranites in my diet more. This sounds great. Right now I am only drinking a tea with the juice in it.

    Thanks for the comments and suggestions on my blog. I appreciate them and will feature the shops throughout the week!

    :)

     
  • At 2:24 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said…

    Wow I really want to make that tofu even more now...it's already been at the top of my "VWAV" recipes to make pile in my head..and thanks for the tip on finding the molasses at WF..I may just have to check. I keep reading about finding it at international grocery stores as well but that's a bus ride I haven't taken yet.

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Do it, Jess, you won't be sorry. I didn't cook the sauce for the entire 15 minutes, but with my gas burner, it's hard to calibrate. The sauce was still very thick anyway.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    hear, hear: re: circus. Ringling Bros is coming to Philly, too--boo. Poor enslaved animals.

    I'm patronizing Cirque du Soliel instead--they only use people, and they're much more creative and kind.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    Hi! Thanks for the comments!

    :)

    The Living Among Meat Eaters from the many pages I read last night is stuff I go thru on a daily basis. It almost sounded whiney. That isn't the way I want to come across. I mean it was well written and a good book but for my situation I don't think it would have helped me much with the closed-minded people. Narrow-minded is one thing but closed-minded...ek!

    The other two books are more my pace. I am really enjoying and learning a lot from Hope's Edge!

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Dan Piraro hitting the proverbial nail on the head with his 'toon once again... I'm glad you were out there leafleting, even if you may think people didn't seem receptive. You never know what the future will bring... some young child may keep your face and actions in his/her head and put things together in a matter of time!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home