Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Friday, April 07, 2006

I'll have mine with blackstrap molasses...


I maybe shouldn't knock non-vegetarian cookbooks too much. After all, it's not too difficult to use seitan in place of cow, pig, or chicken in a recipe. I adapted another recipe from the Heart Association cookbook, a molasses-marinated dish. Let me tell you, measuring 1/3 cup of blackstrap molasses is no mean feat. I have to wonder if the recipe author had a thinner version in mind. It also called for balsamic vinegar and thyme and to marinate for several hours, as long as overnight. But the nice thing about seitan (and tofu for that matter) is that you don't have to marinate it for nearly as long. With leftover millet polenta and asparagus made from a recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance, I had a truly delightful dinner. The only thing I don't like asparagus is that it's not that good as leftovers.

I never really used any sort of molasses until I went vegan and discovered that blackstrap molasses is fab for cooking. Blackstrap molasses has a rich burnt-sugar taste to me, not bitter at all, and it is chock full of nutrients, especially iron and calcium. But it's very thick and is not only a pain to pour, but a pain to get out of the measuring spoon/cup and a pain to clean sometimes. Still, it is very much worth it, and I recommend using in cooking.

Pomegranate molasses, by the way, is just pomegranate juice boiled until it thickens into a syrup. I love the pomegranate-blueberry juice from Naked Food Juice, as both fruits are little antioxidant powerhouses. Granted, it's best to eat fruits rather than drink them, but I'm not about to wrestle with a pomegranate, and I'm waiting until I can get organic berries at the grocery store.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I read a tip somewhere about getting sticky stuff out of measuring cups and off your measuring spoons, coat them in a bit of oil (make sure you get the top edges as well) and it slides right out, works every time and stops me swearing and getting stuff all over the kitchen! Works for molasses and also maple syrup.

    Food looks great!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home