Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, March 13, 2006

I'm baaack

I didn't do a whole lot of cooking last week because I was spending the weekend out in Tampa, Florida. My first cousin once removed (but we just say cousin because it's easier), Heather, was a bat mitzvah. At the Saturday luncheon, I ran into a cousin on my father's side who had Heather (who is a cousin on my mother's side) babysit, and she thought the world of Heather. She said that whenever Heather came over, she would bring activities for the kids.

I always get nervous when spending time with my family because of the vegan thing, but my family made an effort to have food I could eat. One thing I do miss about Florida is the strawberries; they are much better there than here in DC, and you get them earlier in the year. It's the same with green grapes. Give me berries and grapes and oranges and watermelon, and I will stuff my face. After Friday night services, my mom needed to pick up a few things at the grocery store, so I grabbed some peanut butter and crackers, which ended up being my breakfast this weekend. The Saturday night party was a pasta buffet and salad (and some fish, blech). Pasta (just make sure it has no eggs) with marinara sauce is always good to give a vegan in a pinch. Spinach or romaine lettuce salads with tons of vegetables and a vegan dressing are also good.

As a gift, I made a pair of earrings and a bracelet and helped chaperone a hotel slumber party with my cuz and her friends. Eventually, we split into two rooms, and I stayed with my cousin, her friends, and another cousin of mine, who is a little younger while her mom stayed with the other kids. In some ways, things haven't changed much--the girls all giggle and make prank calls. In some ways, they have, as they made the calls to people they knew and on their cell phones. But so long as they kept it quiet, I really didn't care. Eventually I did have to call an end to the proceedings. I needed my sleep!

On Sunday, my aunt had a brunch at her house with tons of food. I ate lots of fruit and veggies, a bagel and some hummus (another good option when a vegan's in the house). One of my cousins found these veggie chips that I really scarfed down. I'm also glad my family pushed me into taking some with me, as they were a great snack on the plane ride today. They're sort of like the Terra Chips, but unlike Terra, they had these dehydrated green beans that were really delicious. I also love sweet potato chips more than regular potato chips.

There's an interesting fast food place in Tampa, a three-location chain, called Evos, which is trying to improve fast food. Yes, they serve meat, but they serve three smoothies, all vegan, and they have a vegan burger and vegan sides. What's really cool are the "air fries" which are baked, but don't taste it. And they still have potato skins on. I absolutely love it when places serve fries that have the skins on; it seems more real to me. My sister would love a location in Orlando. I'd love a location in DC.

Fruit, veggies, peanut butter, crackers, hummus, bagels, pasta, salad. It does a body good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home