Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Gaaaahhhhh!!!

So I made a recipe from VegWeb for a Mexican-style tempeh that called for a package of tempeh, onion, garlic, whatever veggies you want. I had leftover diced bell peppers (my boyfriend and I did a taco night Saturday) and some mushrooms. It also called for a teaspoon of chili powder and any other seasonings. Foolish girl that I am, I followed that direction, and added some Mexican seasoning and cinnamon. I heated up some leftover brown rice and served it up. Sadly, I could not take a bite without needing to flood my esophagus with water. Whoops! It is not easy to rectify a dish you've made too spicy except to maybe find someone who likes really spicy food and give it to him. I think next time, I'll just do a pinch of the chili powder and other seasonings. Whooo! And I'll see if I can't foist the leftovers on the boyfriend.

On a lighter note, spring is in the air. The weather today was just gorgeous, mild blue skies and while it was too warm for my coat, it wasn't quite warm enough to go without, especially because I was wearing a shirt with very short sleeves. Guess I'll break out the hoodie now for the mornings. I actually got out at lunch and ended up taking a short walk, which is something I should do every day, a walk around the block before I eat.

N.B. for the tacos, we used the Yves Mexican-style Ground Round that I sauteed in a pan with part of a chopped onion (the rest we threw on our tacos).

4 Comments:

  • At 12:19 AM, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    My mouth has gotten really sensitive to hot spicy things in the past few years. I found out the hard way that if a recipe calls for any amount of cayenne pepper I have to cut it waaaaay down. I just do a dash, a really tiny pinch and that is enough heat for me. It's easier to add than to take away. I've had to throw out a few dishes because I went a little overboard with the hotness.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Grace said…

    I always have to cut the spices in half too. I just can't handle spicy or hots foods.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Bookphilia said…

    Oh, I hate it when that happens. A recipe can look so good (esp. with all that red spice) and then be inedible. I think I've actually cried a little when I've found a recipe calls for way too much spice and couldn't be eaten. Good luck with the next meal!

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Well, I can always cut way down on the chili powder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home