Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, March 20, 2006

Adaptation

After I moved into my current apartment almost seven years ago, someone in my family sent me the American Heart Association cookbook. I never really used it for some reason--until I became vegan, I wasn't too keen on cooking for some reason. And once I did become vegan, I found numerous cookbooks and a Web site that provided me with tons of recipes. But today, I needed to use up some seitan, and the cookbooks didn't have a good recipe that clicked. So I decided to see what I could adapt from the AHA cookbook, which doesn't even have a tofu recipe, and if you say "seitan" to them, they'd probably respond, "Say what?" But the nice thing about cooking seitan (and tofu and tempeh) is that you don't have to worry about salmonella. I found a recipe for what they call coriander-coated chicken, cut my hunk of seitan into thin slices, and with a few tweaks here and there, and I had a nice dish. It's not my favorite thing I've made with seitan--that honor goes to the Tomato Walnut-Crusted Seitan--but any dish calling for boneless pieces of flesh I can likely sub with seitan. I have to wonder if pureeing silken tofu in a blender will make a good sub for cream. The next time I have a dish calling for it, I will give that a whirl (no pun intended)

I had a couple of leftover sides with it, and then cooked some new sides to eat for later in the week. I'm also wondering what to do with some leftover baby spinach in my fridge. I might lightly steam it with garlic. I'm weird about spinach. I don't want frozen, chopped-into-microscopic-bits spinach. I like my spinach lightly sauteed or steamed and still recognizable. I think I'm perfecting my millet recipe, but I want to give it a couple more tries before I share the recipe with anyone. Grains, nuts, and fruit--yummy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home