Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I have a confession

I absolutely love kitchen and home supply stores like Linens N' Things and Bed Bath & Beyond. I avoid most department stores like the plague since so many sell fur in the form of coats, fur-trimmed clothing, and trinkets. I also toss conventional wisdom on its head in that I would love to receive kitchen gadgets as a gift. Well, I'd like a larger kitchen, but I make do with what I've got. There are days I feel really domestic (which is really a weird form of PMS kicking in and that feeling should end in a week or so) and I want to be a vegan Rachael Ray and feed people delicious cruelty-free food. On TV. I don't want to be Martha because I'm just not into the odd crafts for decorating. I mean, I make my own jewelry, but that's about it.

Anyway, in the Sunday paper, there was a coupon for a BB&B that just opened up in the Chinatown neighborhood, which is rapidly becoming a tourist trap of chain restaurants and stores mixed in with crummy little restaurants. After I got off the bus and was walking toward the store, the stench of bad Chinese food hung in the air. I had a bit of fun in the store, got a new 1-quart pot (for cooking sauces and melting chocolate), a bamboo cutting board for rolling out dough and maybe cutting veggies, and a few squirt bottles for when I make condiments. I figure it will also be good for icing cupcakes and cookies. I was all but itching to get another 9-inch cake pan and a springform pan, but that will have to wait. I store my baking pans in the oven when I'm not using it and put it on the bed when I am, but I still have room for more stuff. Hee hee.

Some people say get the stuff at thrift stores, but I would rather buy stuff that has never touched meat or dairy and never will. Granted, some of the stuff I had before has, but that's a sunk cost, and I'm not tossing my big knife because it was once used to cut flesh. I waited until my old cutting board shattered before getting a new one (a small plastic one). I use one or two old pans. But if I need something I don't have, I'd rather get something that will only touch plant products. I'm weird that way.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    I definitely share your love of BB&B and cannot go there and come out without blowing way more money than I had intended. A little secret is that they don't keep track of the expiration dates on the 20% off cards that they send you in the mail.

    Oh and I'm totally with you on using things that have never touched meat. I grew up in a kosher household with two sets of dishes, one for meat and one set for milk and non-meat items. I have one set and I do not permit any meat to touch them.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    I grew up in a kosher household, too, until my parents got divorced. My dad still keeps kosher. But if you're vegan, you only need one set of dishes if you keep kosher!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home