Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, February 20, 2006

My mouth's all tingly



It was an absolutely beautiful day today. It was a tad chilly, but there was no sign that a week ago, everything was softly coated with snow. The air was what is called "bracing" or "crisp" and it was wonderful being outside. I needed to get a few things from the grocery store, and since the local market only sells them in bulk, I ended up walking to the Whole Foods and added some more herbs and spices to my drawer, some yams to add to my dinner for tonight, and a few odds and ends.

The first thing I made were Lemon Gem Cupcakes from Vegan With a Vengeance. They didn't turn out so pretty, but they sure tasted good. I think I need to get new baking soda; that would have helped make the cupcakes fluffier. I have some leftover lemon icing, and I think I'll try to find a shortbread recipe and frost the cookies with the lemon icing.

For dinner, I made Jerk Seitan from VwaV (but the seitan recipe was from La Dolce Vegan!), Balsamic Yams adapted from The Garden of Vegan and a salad adapted from an issue of VegNews. I often buy precut, prewashed lettuce because even though it's expensive, it makes it easy to make a salad. The nice thing about the little plastic containers is I can keep the salad right in them. When I tested the jerk sauce, it wasn't terribly spicy, but as I ate it, I noticed the spiciness. Whoa! It made me glad I heated up the last of my leftover brown rice. I'm going to have to find a nice rice recipe to cut the seitan. I feel weird having rice and yams, but somehow it works.

I am debating mentioning a really ugly story I read in this morning in The Washington Post about how the FDA is trying to stop the meat industry from treating its product with carbon monoxide. It's a little scary because it hides what could be rotten meat from unwitting consumers. It's even scarier than a "Dateline" episode I saw a few years ago about grocery stores redating meat to keep in on the shelf longer.

And people think vegans are weird.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said…

    The carbon monoxide story is very unsettling, in more than one way, of course.

    The jerk seitan looks so good, on another note! I've been meaning to give jerk tofu a chance, as I'm not a seitan fan.

    I think grated lemon peel, even just a bit (1/4 teaspoon) would work well in the shortbread recipe~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home