Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Friday, February 10, 2006

I've been remiss, I know.

An utterly beautiful, warmer-than-normal January became a frigid February. I can't think of anything else that would sap my desire to cook creatively. Well, I can, but I'm not going to moan about my job situation here.

But I did saute some tofu, adapting a recipe in Howard Lyman's new book "No More Bull!" which deals with all the diseases caused by animal confinement and has a whole bunch of recipes. I also made a standby stirfry with tempeh, a few mushrooms, canned water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, celery and some pea pods, and tossed some almonds at the very end of cooking. I used a bottled sauce, but clearly not enough, so I've had to drizzle some Bragg's Aminos over it. The great thing about stir-fries and rice is they make a great lunch the next day.

I also have planned a big dinner for Valentine's Day. I'm going to make the tomato walnut-crusted seitan, steam some baby carrots, throw together a simple salad, and drag out some leftover bulgur pilaf. I also need to make some treats for my boyfriend because he's always asking for treats when he comes over.

So we're supposed to get snow tomorrow, about 3 to 6 inches. We got some snow in December, but it was really a dusting. It was almost three years ago that the DC area got utterly hammered with about a foot-and-a-half of snow. I sent pics to my family, and my sister made a snarky remark about wearing shorts the previous weekend. My dad said it's why he lives in Florida. I pointed out that in DC we only have 2 or 3 months with 90 degree weather, as opposed to 6. And at least in DC, we don't have Jeb Bush. Hee hee.

But I bet that by a week from now, the snow will all be melted. It's kind of sad because everything looks pretty with a dusting of snow, but it's a pain to walk in.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    I haven't read No More Bull, but I did read Mad Cowboy, Howard Lyman's first book. In fact, he came to speak here last summer -- he's a terrific speaker.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home