Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Red Quinoa and Ranting

I was in the Whole Foods last night, stocking up, and I saw something called Red Quinoa. It looked intersting, so of course I got it instead of the plain quinoa. I then invented a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, and pea pods cooked in a rice cooker while I steamed my tempeh. I made this last night, but the leftover seitan was calling to me, so I had my Chili-Lime Tempeh and the Quinoa Pilaf tonight instead. I'm tinkering on both recipes, so once I feel I've perfected them, I'll happily share. I probably will want to cook my quinoa in vegetable broth, maybe mushroom broth, instead of water. But I thought I'd multitask by steaming the tempeh and cooking the quinoa at the same time. It takes up space when I use it, but I do love my rice cooker/steamer.

I've decided not to watch the State of the Union. And if I say anymore, the Homeland Security folks will come down on my ass because I'm a vegan feminist who opposes just about everything the bungler-in-chief stands for. Speaking of our friends at Homeland Security, I have to wonder why they aren't coming down on Ann Coulter's blonde butt. I've never advocated violence against anyone--not that I haven't been tempted--but she has suggested poisoning a Supreme Court justice! And she gets away with it by saying she's joking! Uh-huh. Riiight. And Brownie did a heckuva job.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    Please do share! I've never seen red quiona. We eat a fair amount of plain at my house. My husband especially likes it, and your recipe idea sounds tasty. There's a Whole Foods market not too far from where I live. I'll write it on my shopping list and look the next time I'm there. Does it retain it's colour even after you cook it? Would make for a pretty dish.

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Red quinoa is very pretty. It's sort of a reddish brown when it's done. It's going to take a little experimentation because right now it's just veggies and the quinoa.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said…

    Did you prefer the red quinoa over the plain? I'm okay with the plain but it's a bit nutty for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home