Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Caccia me if you can.


I did a bit of grocery shopping tonight--had to pick up a few things--and after I got home, I used some tempeh I had in my fridge, some veggies, and some canned tomatoes to make the Tempeh Cacciatore in The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, which I served with leftover pasta. I maybe should have cut the tempeh pieces smaller, but it was a nice, hearty, tomatoey dish. It's not my favorite dish, but it was tasty.

I had a lovely trip to Orlando, although I didn't get a chance to cook for anyone. We did, however, pick up some cookies at the local Publix, while my sister was buying soda. I bought some fruit juice since I try to avoid products with high fructose corn syrup, and I loathe diet drinks, whether it's sweetened with aspartame or sucralose. My mom picked up tons of Chinese food (with two vegetarian dishes for my boyfriend and me). I think the best part of the day was my grandmother's face when she saw me. She was so happy that I had made it. One of my cousins fibbed and said that I had come in just to see her. I think it was the first time I got through a family event without wanting to scream.

I did spend time with my dad in the evenings. It's been probably close to 20 years since I've been to that synagogue, and because there was a retreat, it was a very sparsely attended service. I did stand up to say the Mourner's Kaddish, as it has become acceptable to stand for one's grandparent. The rabbi, instead of a sermon, gave an informative talk in a series regarding 50 moments in Jewish history, the current one on Martin Luther, a talk I found fascinating.

If every visit home is this pleasant, I may be inclined to visit more often.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    I didn't realize one was OK to stand up for the Mourner's Prayer (Kaddish) for a grandparent. The things I learn!

    Nice to see you back and glad you had a good trip to Florida...

     
  • At 10:32 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Well, I guess it is now, kleopatra. I intended to go just to be with my dad when he said it, but he told us that things had changed and one could stand for a grandparent. So I did, even though I'm not religious at all.

    I also asked him if he had access to some of her old recipes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can find some.

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Good for you to stand. I can tell it was very important for you and that's really all that matters. I'm somewhat observant in my Judaism. I try :o) but sometimes it's a bit much...

    It would be cool for you to get the recipes!!

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    this looks delish--and love the title of your post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home