Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Thursday, April 27, 2006

I love veganizing dishes


So I made some seitan over the weekend, and today, I decided to create dinner with one part of it (a whole box of the Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten makes about two pounds). So I used another recipe in the Heart Association cookbook for Mango Chicken and used frozen mango (and threw in some strawberries) and hoisin sauce with my seitan. I had a baked potato and some the last of the leftover pea pods. It was pretty good, not the best I've done, but it did work. I like dishes where I sear the seitan in a skillet pan. I'm reluctant to use oven-based recipes from the book because the cooking times for tofu, tempeh, and seitan are probably differnet from cooking times for flesh foods.

It's been a rough week back from work, so I'm not going to babble on much. But I finally got my pictures to post!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Danielle. The dish sounds amazing. Too bad the pictures won't post...I bet it looked great too. Silly blogger...I had problems the other day..it kept flipping by pictures sideways. huh?

     
  • At 1:24 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    I use the Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten as well but don't know how to sear it in a pan. How does that work?! It sounds like this was a fab meal...

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    i love veganizing, too. it remidns me of translating a story from one language to another

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    kleo, once you have made your seitan, you just fry it in a pan like you would any other food.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hurrah...your picture worked

     

Post a Comment

<< Home