Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Fun with leftovers


Mondays are usually crazy at the office. It's when we get the most tapes in and the most handbacks to either correct or send to the recipient. By late afternoon, things have died down, but it's still a crazy day. And yesterday I somehow didn't get a chance to eat lunch, so by the time I left work, I was ravenous. So I stopped at Java Green and picked up a Tofu Green Salad, an order of soy "chicken" and an order of lotus root. I ate the salad and part of the "chicken" and lotus root yesterday, and kept the rest.

Today, I roasted made Balsamic and Rosemary Sweet Potatoes (okay, they're really yams) from a recipe in The Garden of Vegan. Yams are one of my favorite foods. They do really well when oven baked with seasonings, something cut-up Russet potatoes don't. I heated up the leftover "chicken" and lotus root to go with it. It's not the most colorful dinner, but it sure was tasty.

And today I did have lunch. I went to a local place called High Noon and had a custom salad made for me. While they have menu items, customers can also get pasta or salads with the ingredients of their choice. So I did. It was HUGE, and it was tasty. I have sent an e-mail asking about vegan options there (I'm concerned about the dressings), but as expensive as the place is, I will try to eat there semi-regularly just so I can get nice big salads.

You'll notice I go through phases--I'm sure lots of people do--where I feel like having something healthy a lot and then I just don't feel like eating what's good for me. And, no, they don't coincide with my monthly occurrence. It just happens.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    That looks delish and very similar to what we had tonite! (Great minds eat alike, right?) I am also a fan of sweet potatoes and yams--and anything orange.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Red Fraggle said…

    Java Green is one of my absolute favorite restaurants in DC (or, really, anywhere). I like High Noon as well, but don't manage to get out there much.

    I'm a vegetarian (but not a vegan) in DC as well, and I also have a cat. I thought you might be able to help with something I've been struggling with--what to feed the cat!

    I don't want to feed her vegan or vegetarian food, because cats are really carnivores and I just don't think it is fair to her to make her a vegetarian (I'm not convinced it would be healthy to do so). However, I would like to find foods for her where the animals killed were treated humanely. Have you struggled with this question as well? Have you managed to find a place in DC that sells this type of cat food?

    I love your blog! I'm going to have to start using your recipes. If I ever decide to turn on the stove, that is.

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    fraggle, I feed my cat Wellness canned food that I buy at Whole Foods. I don't know how the animals are treated, but it has the fewest artificial ingredients. And according to PETA, they don't test on animals. I also give her prescription dry food because she's 15 and she's got a bit of renal insufficiency. The vet originally wanted me to give her canned prescription, but kitty wouldn't eat it.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Red Fraggle said…

    Thanks Danielle! I'll check Wellness out. I think I know the prescription canned food you are talking about, and mine won't touch it either. She's very picky!

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    I hear you -- sometimes I'm in the mood for something completely decadent. And now that I see that you have a MySpace account, maybe I'll ask you to be my "friend" :)

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Wow, that does look awesome, all of it, Danielle!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home