Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Orange you glad you're vegan?


I found a recipe for a sesame seitan on a Web site called Speed Vegan and made a couple minor changes. When I'm battering seitan for frying, I never mix the liquid and dry ingredients; I dip the seitan pieces in the liquid, then in the flour mixture. Her recipe called for agave nectar, but I used orange juice and tamari instead. I also left out the garlic--shocker, I know, considering I'm practically garlic queen. I also added sesame seeds to the flour mixture instead of just sprinkling them over the finished pieces of seitan. I'm thinking that I should make extra sauce to go with it to pour over the pieces when I'm done, but I'll let you all know (maybe) when I'm done.

I belong to the local Vegan Meetup, and this Saturday, we're meeting at someone's home to share cooking secrets. In discussions with the organizer, I decided to have a class on making rockin' seitan. The only thing that bothers me is I like to wait a few days before cooking my seitan, which just won't be an option here. And the organizer has never made seitan, and the recipe her S.O. uses relies on making raw seitan dough and cooking it. A local vegan soul food place makes them, so I know they're good, but most seitan recipes require simmering them. So everyone will be my taste testers for the pomegranate seitan recipe I'm working on. I haven't decided what I'll do with my recipes when I perfect them, but I'll let you know where you can see them when I do.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Oh my. That look yummy.

    I get Sesame Setian at Su XIng House but it looks like they have a rival.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger KariDyan said…

    THat looks SO GOOD! I can't wait to get settled so I can make all this yummy stuff again!

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I'm still trying to master Seitan and Tempeh. My Tofu is a tad above the Seitan and Tempeh and that worries me.

    I actually can't find Seitan or Tempeh around here. I have to drive at least 50 minutes for the "possiblity". Sometimes up to an hour and a half!

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Make your own seitan, silly girl. You can order the Arrowhead Mills Vital Wheat Gluten if it's not at any local store.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    YUMMY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home