Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Lunch!


The local Whole Foods offers several classes and demos a month, one of which is geared towards vegan food. The class is so popular that they have to offer it twice a month. Some people are vegans looking for new recipes, others are omnis interested in eating healthier. I go because I'm always looking for new recipes. Adn this week, I got several. One of my favorites was an Asian tofu salad. This is a pretty simple recipe that can be done partially cooked or not cooked at all, although I'm not keen on the idea of eating uncooked tofu.

Anyway, it's really, really simple. Take one block of firm or extra-firm tofu (I use firm because it has a higher percentage RDA of calcium) and 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms (the recipe called for shiitake, but all I had on hand were some creminis) and saute in sesame oil. For the dressing mix 1 large clove of garlic, chopped; 2 tablespoons of grated ginger; 1/2 teaspoon of chili paste (or to taste); 2 tablespoons of soy sauce; 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar; and half a tablespoon of sesame oil. When the tofu and mushrooms are done cooking, throw in 1 chopped bell pepper, 4 chopped scallions and fresh parsley. You can serve it over greens, with rice crackers or in a pita, but I decided to serve with rice noodles. It was almost as good as in the demo and a very simple and tasty lunch.

I get recipes from all over--VegWeb, RecipeZaar, demos like this, from fellow veg*ans, and one day, I'm going to have to compile them all into an easier format than random pieces of paper that get lost too easily. I also need to get a new timer as the one I've had just stopped working :(.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jennifer C. said…

    I keep thinking I am going to organize my recipes one day as well. There is a huge pile of clippings and print outs on my book shelf! Occasionally I go through it a toss some out - sometimes things don't sound as good a few weeks or months later!

    That tofu salad recipe sounds great! I have always wondered if the cooking classes at Whole Foods were worthwhile. Thanks for the recommendation.

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    I like my tofu cooked too. I'm not big on raw foods in general. This looks good, i like it!!

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said…

    I love fried tofu
    probably the worst thing to do to it but it tastes the best to me.


    Teddy
    ps been looking here quite a bit. thought it was time to comment :)

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Danielle--is that the same Asian Tofu Salad that they sell in the Salad Bar--b/c I love that? I have to check out the classes. Great lead.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    I don't think so, Dynise. That Asian tofu is different.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger bazu said…

    That salad does look great. I don't have a Whole Foods nearby (or... within 5 hours...) but I love the vegan recipes on their website. After having tried quite a few, I can say that they've all been really good. The tofu quiche is a favorite, as well as a salad with garbanzo beans, broccoli, and a flax-lime dressing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home