Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Secrets for perfect seitan

When I was an omnivore, I was sort of a meat-and-potatoes gal. Now, I'm a tofu/tempeh/seitan-and-potatoes/grains gal. I'm trying, really trying, to eat more veggies. I swear.

However, I believe I have perfected a technique to making seitan. Oh. You're not still buying it are you? Unless a recipe calls for the "chicken style" wheat meat (which I haven't perfected), make your own. It's cheaper, and you can decide the shape in which you make it. If you want "chops" or "wings," you really can't do that with the $5-an-eight-ounce-package store-bought stuff. Plus, this will eliminate the spongy texture some people get wtih seitan.

First, you want to start off with Vital Wheat Gluten or high-gluten flour. You can make seitan from whole wheat flour, but that takes a lot of flour and a lot of water, and you may as well save yourself some time. I use the Arrowhead Mills brand, but if you find another brand, whatever works for you, use it:

First, mix all the ingredients for your broth in a sauce pan or large pot. I use a five-quart saucepan, which is a little small, but it works for me. You can use vegetable broth, a recipe in a cookbook, or make up your own, but do NOT use just plain water. Let your broth sit in the pot while you mix the ingredients for your gluten. Most recipe books or your package of gluten should have the right proportions for making the dough. Use those.

Once you have the flour and water in the bowl, turn on the burner to heat up your broth. Stir the flour and water until it makes a dough, then dump onto a cutting board. Knead the dough--and you don't have to do the typical kneading, you can punch and prod and squeeze--until the water is coming close to boiling. Now, I typically make a double batch, using the whole box of gluten flour, so I separate the blob into two pieces and sort of shape them.

Once the broth comes to a boil, gently lower the dough blobs into the pot, lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for 50 minutes. You can, if you like, check the seitan every few minutes, but I usually don't. As I have warned you previously, it will expand greatly, so do not freak out. I use a smaller pot to keep the expansion under control and because the broth is deeper when I use a smaller pot rather than my pasta-boiling pot.

After the seitan is done, gently remove it from the pot and place into storage containers. Store the seitan with the cooking liquid. I usually place one container in the freezer and the other in the fridge. I have discovered that seitan is best if you do not use it the same day you make it. The texture will be chewier and not spongy, the bane of any seitan cook. The seitan will last up to a week in your fridge and longer in your freezer.

Now, that you know how to make a great seitan, get cookin'!

9 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said…

    I made seitan today.. I'm still not a huge fan of it, but I like it sometimes. My husband and younger son love it. I made a bunch of very thin cutlets that I'm going to marinate in teriyak and bbq sauce, then grill.. I'll probably flour some of it and pan fry it.

    I make a similar dish to yours.. sesame seitan.. based on the sesame chicken from chinese restaurants.. (but I don't deep fry it)..

    It's great you are going to teach people at your meet up!

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Candi said…

    Hi Danielle!! Thank for the comment on my blog! it lead me right to this awesome blog of yours with the seitan tips!!

    I love seitan! LOVE it! I don't like buying the premade ones either, yet mine homemade ones come out a little too bland. Do you add any spices to the gulten while mixing? I may try garlic powder or something like Braggs to kick mine up a bit.

    I did make some hazelnut encrusted seitan once that was SO good, and also some sweet and sour sauce to put over a different batch. I love it's versatility!

    Thank you for sharing what you know about seitan!!! :)

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    THANK YOU DANIELLE! This is the brand i have and have been a little hesitant to use... i love seitan and usually just order it out where i can find it...

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's a seitan frenzy in blog world the last few days :) Thanks for the tips,... one of these days I'll try it!

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you are the seitan master...that's for sure. Your's always look so good.

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Candi, I don't add anything to the seitan itself (although that might not be a bad idea), but I make the broths from La Dolce Vegan.

    Good luck everyone else!

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Cool. I actually like bulk vital wheat gluten better than Arrowhead Mills, but not everyone can get it.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said…

    Yeah! Seitan does rock. Thanks for posting. I love to make it from the box. On occasion, I will actually make it from regular flour. Kneading it in the water and washing out the starch takes a long time, but the end result is slightly better than the boxed stuff in my opinion.

    BTW - Thanks for your catch on UV's blog. I think I mixed up the water per pound of beef versus grain per pound. Either way, it seems wasteful to me.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger rcut said…

    Thank you for your perfect seitan secrets. I've been having trouble with spongy seitan since I've been making it. I use Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recipes, and she says to keep the broth cold till you've put the seitan pieces in, then bring the whole thing to a boil and immediately lower the heat to simmer it for an hour. Sometimes it comes out nicely textured, but more often it's spongy. Any idea why she suggests putting it in cold broth? I'll definitely try your method next time I make seitan.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home