Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Tomatoes!

One of my coworkers does a lot of homey stuff, including grow tomatoes. Last week, she gave me a little baggie of grape tomatoes (well, they're smaller than cherry, but plumper than grape). I threw together a salad with some lettuce mix and a handful of the tomatoes and some Annie's Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette, my favorite bottled dressing, and had the last of the leftover topping. The tomatoes were absolutely delicious! I didn't take any pictures because it wouldn't have made a nice picture--sorry. I've had a rough couple of weeks at work, and I haven't felt much like cooking either.

The weather, thank goodness, has cooled down considerably. It's amazing what even 5 degrees and slightly lower humidity can do. I can actually turn on my oven, if I am so inclined, without thinking I'm going to die. I think. The air quality has improved vastly as well.

As a resident of Washington, D.C., I don't have representation in Congress, but I do keep my eye on races around the country. So I was very happy when Ned Lamont beat Joe Lieberman. Senator Lieberman may have voted the Democratic position more often than not, but his hug-almost-smooch with Dubya and his pro-war stance hurt him greatly. Yes, he's admitted that the war has been bungled (ya think?), but there are people who now think the war was a mistake. Sadly, Lieberman has decided to run as an independent, while most incumbents kicked out in the primaries do support the party winner. What a spoilsport. What's more important, Senator: your career or the good of the party?

6 Comments:

  • At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi Danielle...I think it was you that asked me how my mother made the chickpea croquettes. I finally found out. All she did was mix some mashed chick peas with a bunch of mashed potatoes...formed them into croquettes and baked them at 350 for about 30 min. I'm sure you could try all sorts of variations...ie...adding spices etc.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    I was happy about Lieberman, too, and amused by Cheyney's comments about his loss. We are coming dangerously close to totalitarianism.

    Yay for free tomatoes!

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Cherry tomatoes, not grape there Toots! I have nine pounds of tomatoes from zee garden in the freezer in hopes of making sauce. Hooray for canning!!!

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Tomatoes everywhere! Lovely!! I support a lot of what Lieberman stands for, not just because he's a Jew and supports Israel, but what he is doing/has done is just so bizarre... It's precedent-setting in ways, but not necessarily positive...

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Sorry, Christine, but they were delicious. I ate them plain as a snack yesterday.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger funwithyourfood said…

    Hi there, I'm Teddy- Nice to 'meet' you!
    I've seen you around and thought I should finally introduce myself. I know what you're saying about work being a pain lately! Hopefully things get better for the two of us soon :)

    Teddy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home