Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tofreaky

Today it got up to 100 degrees. Excuse me while I scream. Luckily while I was cooking my dinner, I heard and felt the sort of wind that indicates a bit of rain is coming, and we did get some rain, although I was hoping for more. Tomorrow and the weekend are supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler than this week was, for which I am extremely grateful.

Tonight I found a recipe on Recipezaar for Orange Lacquered Tofu. It was pretty good, but what it is with tons of Braggs/tamari/soy sauce and only a small amount of the flavoring? Someone explain it to me. You use too much Braggs, and you get a very salty dish. The proportion was 1/4 C of braggs and 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Wha?? I added some ginger and bottled orange peel, which didn't help matters. I think next time, I'll use far more juice and far less Braggs and see how it turns out. My tofu was, however, nice and crispy -- almost too crispy. I had meant to cook it yesterday, but got a call from a friend while I was pressing it, so I put it in a container and let it sit in the fridge for a day. I'm not going to do that again, as I think it's the cooking method (just let it sit in the pan for 5 minutes on each side) and the sesame oil I used.

I've been avoiding saying anything about Mel Gibson, but the man needs help. He's sicker than Ann Coulter, and that's saying a lot. I can believe he was drunk when he spewed his sickness all over the LAPD, but that doesn't excuse anything. And all too frequently left out of most reports is that he called a female cop "sugar tits," which ought to add misogyny to the mix. His dad is even crazier--a Holocaust denier. And Gibson was likely stone cold sober when he said that his father never lied to him after someone asked him about it. And presumably he was also stone cold sober when he said his wife was going to hell because she belonged to a different sect than he. The guy needs two months of detox in Alaska in the winter and a Thorazine pump.

And here's a question. A lot of religious folk are upset about violence in modern movies. And I won't disagree that movies today are more violent than movies when I was a kid. But if violence bothers them, why were they all fired up to go see The Passion of the Christ, which I understand (I never saw it) was brutally violent? Is it okay because it's a biblical interpretation? Does one get carte blanche to do anything as long as it's under the guise of telling a biblical story? As an agnostic, I have to admit that I intensely dislike the hypocrisy I see in most religious practice, so I have no answers there.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Danielle, a great post. I've left notes on other blogs saying this "you can't spell megalomaniac without mel" and it's true. That's one sick puppy. Ann Coulter is another story altogether. A very confused lady. I think Mel knows exactly what he's saying... and that's really frightening to me. Even if i was not a somewhat observant Jew, it would frighten me. And there are plenty more who think "his way" out there in this world, which frightens me the most.

    But anyway, onto your food. I agree about the Bragg's... like the old commercial for Brylcream (which was almost before my time, i'll have you know) "a little dab'll do ya."

    Sounds like you made do with what you had and that it turned out nicely. And next time it will be even better.

    After an unseasonably strange and unnecessary in my view hot spell, it was cool and it rained here in SoCal yesterday, for which we were mostly grateful as were you... but shocked, as this is not exactly the norm for our environs this time of year. Global warming, anyone?

     
  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    It started cooling down here, Kleo. It only got up to 90-ish instead of above 100. The tempertures will be much more reasonable for the next week, and we may even get a little more rain. Oh, I hope.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home