Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Another delicious seitan recipe


It's been a while since I've made this, but this is a fabulous seitan recipe from La Dolce Vegan. It's Tomato-Walnut Crusted Mock Chicken, but I think you can use any type of seitan, really. You do have to let it marinate for about an hour in a tomato paste mix, but it is worth it. I put a potato in the micro for a few minutes with some leftover asparagus, brewed some Teavana Japanese Cherry Green tea, which I poured over ice, and had a wonderful dinner.

Teavana is a chain of tea shops that has various flavors and varieties of teas and tisanes (infusions). Green tea and rooibos (called red tea, but it's not really a tea) are loaded with antioxidants and have far less caffeine than coffee. In fact, Rooibos has zero caffeine, as do most non-tea infusions. The tea is loose, and while you can get a tea ball, Teavana makes these really cool brew cups where you put the tea/infusion in, pour the water in, let brew, and then place over a cup where it drains out. I also have Lemon Green Tea and Rooibos Lemon Twist, both of which are delicious. You can also mix flavors, but I have yet to try that. So kick the coffee habit and have a nice cuppa tea.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    I keep hearing about this seitan recipe. I think your photo has inspired me to finally try it! Yum.

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Ah, an hour, 'eh? Is that one of the secrets to successfully flavoring and marinating seitan? I can never get it savory enough. Guess i need more patience...

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger jenny said…

    That seitan looks really good!

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger t. said…

    I am a total infusion lover! And that Japanese Cherry Green tea sounds AMAZING!

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    kleo, not all seitan recipes require an hour to marinate. There's one in Garden of Vegan called Swee's Rosemary Mock Chicken that's also tasty and doesn't take as long. What I'd love is a way to cut my seitan thinner.

    But this is absolutely worth the wait.

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've got me convinced. I'm going to try that seitan recipe! Sounds great!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home