Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Friday, August 04, 2006

Ooh, puckery pomegranate



So I was looking for a way to cook my seitan, and I also wanted to use some pomegranate molasses that's been sitting around my fridge for a while since I got it for a recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance. So I found a recipe for a dish called fessenjen (like many Middle Eastern dishes, it has a million spellings). This one called for waterfowl, but of course, I used seitan and adapted the instructions a bit. The recipe had ingredients in both Imperial and Metric measurements, driving me nuts because how do I measure 75 grams of walnuts? I just threw a couple handfuls in the pan. Foolishly, I did not add sugar, and boy, was it TART. In case nobody told you, or you've never drunk pomegranate juice, it is a tart fruit. And since pomegranate molasses is really concentrated pomegranate juice, the tartness is increased. But pomegranates are chock full of antioxidants, so buy the juice, but not by Pom Wonderful, since they test on animals.

Anyway, I served my tartalicious seitan with some leftover bulgur couscous and veggies that I made earlier this week, but left off the pesto, as it would have seriously clashed with the pommy flavor. It was a truly lovely Friday night dinner. Next time, I'm adding a pinch of sugar to the sauce when I cook it.


Now, if you're wondering where to pick up pomegranate molasses, I got mine at the local Whole Foods. I also found recipes for making your own, which amounts to simmering pomegranate juice to thicken it to a syrup, which is entirely up to you. Middle Eastern stores, I'm told, also sell it. I have to find ethnic grocers here in DC, hope there are labels in English and see if they have decent prices. Pomegranate molasses can be used, I've read, measure for measure in place of blackstrap. Hmmm....

7 Comments:

  • At 1:43 AM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    thanks for the tip on using antioxidant rich pemegranate molasses instead of blackstrap. i'll be on the lookout for the stuff. just say "No" to pom wonderful.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    I've been dying to try pomegranate molasses--thanks for the lead. Also, I didn't know that POM tested on animals, so no POM for me.

    Eating pomegranates, for me, evokes happy memoeires of childhood. My mom always bought them sasonally as a special treat, and I thought the seeds looked like little rubies.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    This is the first time i have even heard of pomegranate molasses. Very cool. Your food looks so good!!! I have heard about POM and will never buy from that company as long as they insist on doing the bad stuff that they do...

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Cansel said…

    Wow that looks great - need to find a recipe for it!

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Well, blackstrap molasses is also good for you in that is has iron, so use both in cooking, but judiciously, as both are really sugars.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said…

    That looks great! Did you like the BBQ'd tofu in VWaV? I've been meaning to find the pomegranate molasses to make it.

    I didn't know about POM... thanks for the heads up.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    I'd heard about POM a while ago. WTF? Do they really need to slice open animals and pump the stuff into them? It's juice!!! You found pomegrante molasses at Whole Foods? Awesome! I'm going to look here because I want to make that recipe from Vegan With A Vengeance. Thanks Danielle!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home