Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, July 17, 2006

Mmm, yummy

As I said, I did quite a bit of cooking last night. Crazy me, I even turned on my oven to make sweet potato fries. I adapted a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance and used ginger and paprika, instead of coriander and cumin, for a tasty difference. I also made the Moroccan Chickpea Patties from Vive Le Vegan! but they did not hold together in the pan. It didn't look like I would be able to get a good picture, so I didn't take one. Hey, I'm just a gal who likes to cook, not a caterer or food stylist. But it was certainly good. I used a dab of the gravy I made for yesterday's "chicken-fried seitan," but amazingly, it works, it works, so I will not only be sure to make all these recipes again, but make the gravy to go with it. The gravy is best for "Southern-style" cooking--mashed taters and biscuits and fried seitan or tofu. If the heat index goes below 100-degrees sometime this week, I may just make some "buttermilk" biscuits. You know how nonvegans can make buttermilk by adding a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of cows' milk? Well, it works the exact same way with soy milk.

I hope everyone can stay cool 'cause it's hot pretty much all over the US and probably Canada, too. Drink lots of water, stay indoors, and remember a tepid shower does wonders at cooling you off. In fact, I think I'll go have mine now.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    I a-be loooovin' Southahn stahyule cookin', sweetie.

    Yeppers, it's hot and humid in SoCal. Crazy weather!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    VwaV sweet potato fries realy rock! major yum. and i recently made Vive's celebrity rice & bean cakes - also delish. yes, it is waay too hot - i can't help but be freaked after seeing an inconvenient truth - have you seen it yet? it is a must view movie for those who live on earth.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Vicki, yes I have seen "An Inconvenient Truth." I liked it, although it drives me crazy that nobody mentions the effect of diet on the environment. Oh, well.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Danielle - I completely agree with your comment on the food connection. It's as if so many people thinkg "food" is off limits when we talk about climate change or environmental issues in general. Frustrating!

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    So you know I'm not a Vegan, but am a former vegetarian. I love cabbage, brussel sprouts and beets, it drives Da Man nuts. He's anti-beet and anti-banana; and since being with me he has never eaten so much cabbage and brussel sprouts in his life. But I make lots of mean veggie dishes and with these hot days we tend to keep to the grill outside. Asparagus, potatoes, zucchini from the garden, mushrooms, tomatoes. Which by the way I'll bring more tomatoes into the office for you the next time I'm in. No herbicides. My garden is in a complete natural state. :)

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    Oh Danielle, I'm feeling the heat too. I'm near Toronto and last week was record breaking! Well over 100F and humid! ICK. There are crazy people around who say "I love it!" but how can you enjoy the summer when it's so unbearable. It doesn't last long enough as it is and when it's like this, I just sit inside with the A/C on to keep me comfortable -especially to sleep. Me's cranky with not enough sleep. Anyway, it might as well be winter because everyone is staying indoors. That's no way to spend the summer months.
    Southern Fried Chick Seitan sounds very intriguing. Any chance of a recipe post?? ;O)

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    i haven't made those sweet potato fries yet, but i think i will soon.. my best friend just loves them!

     
  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Carrie, I'm really reluctant to post recipes, as they are copyrighted.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home