Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Quinoa Rocks

And I wish I could show you a picture, but my camera's batteries died as I was trying to take pictures of tonight's dinner. I found a recipe on The Vegan Club blog when there was a quinoa recipe contest. The woman who submitted the recipe has a blog of her own, Vegetarian Family. You can link to the recipe here. Now, I didn't have the fresh parsley the recipe called for, so I used a little dried and cut up a couple of scallions for color. I also used flaxseed oil instead of olive oil (since you mix it in after everything is cooked). And I got creative and used half original quinoa and half red quinoa to make the dish even prettier. I'm especially happy because I got to use the rest of a container of grape tomatoes that I had lying around my veggie drawer.

Quinoa, a South American grain, is an absolute superfood, with a full complement of amino acids and (who knew?) Omega-3 fatty acids. You want to rinse quinoa before you cook it to remove the bitter saponin coating, and it's also a good idea to toast it in the cooking pot before adding water to bring out the flavor.

I also tried to adapt a recipe to make rosemary tofu, but the amount of liquid was too small and boiled off as soon as I got it in the pan. Oh, well. I had mushrooms to coat my tofu, and I can figure out another sauce to add some flavor to what I have cooked. But I used up a bag of mushrooms that were lying around the veggie drawer, and I'm happy about that, too.

I have to do some more grocery shopping soon. There are lot of recipes I want to try, so I need to make a list, check it twice (ha!), and get cooking again.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger MeloMeals said…

    quinoa is a great addition to the pantry... Vicki's recipe looks delicious..

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Y'know it is so cool that you posted about this. I got this book by "DK" which supposedly are the "mavens" on whatever subject they're writing about. It was a book on "all" the so-called "Superfoods." So I gave the book to my parents, who let my sister look at it and I was over at her house yesterday and was lookin' thru it and whaddaya know, there is NO entry for quinoa. I was (am) pretty disappointed. There of course was stuff on murdered animals and on other stuff that likewise had no business being in there... but the no quinoa pretty much made me decide to not read that book, even in passing. No thanks.

    Again, thank YOU though for this post!

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    i love quinoa!!!!

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    You're welcome, kleopatra. Check the quinoa article at www.thefreedictionary.com. Click on the encyclopedia tab for a good article on quinoa.

     
  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    oh, i wish i could see! :o) but what a wonderful surprise to see you found my recipe, & don't you love those little tomatoes w/quinoa? cheers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home