Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Here's a repeat


I decided to make the pineapple tempeh again, only this time, I had more than enough frozen pineapple for the recipe. I like some of the recipes on VegWeb, but a lot of the recipes do not list the ingredients in the order used. It's weird to see pineapple listed first, but it's not added until the very end of the recipe. I made a very simple garlic quinoa recipe I found on Recipezaar.com. It's quinoa, onion, garlic, and carrot. I may add some seasoning next time--when a recipe calls for salt and pepper, I forget to add it half the time.

I also had a very simple salad with a bagged lettuce mix and the last of the cherry tomatoes. I love the convenience of bagged lettuce mixes. Open bag, pull out however much lettuce you want, dump in a bowl with other salad fixings (for me, it was a handful or so of cherry tomatoes), pour dressing over it, and eat. My favorite dressing, when I'm too lazy to make my own, is Annie's Natural's Shiitake and Sesame Vinaigrette.

A lot, but not all of Annie's Naturals products are vegan, so check the labels or check out the Web site.

A strange-ish think happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My boyfriend and I were eating at a local leftie restaurant/bookstore which has a pretty decent vegan menu, including desserts. Now, finding an omni restaurant that has vegan desserts beyond a fruit plate is awesome enough, but the fact that they have good vegan desserts is really cool. My boyfriend got a vegan brownie with ice cream, and I got a vegan parfait. The parfait was vegan yogurt (vanilla?) with granola. I loved both desserts--when we're out dining, we always try each other's meals--and decided that fruit yogurt with granola would be a good dessert. So last week, I went to a local natural foods store and got some Whole Soy & Company soy yogurts. I wasn't crazy about the raspberry, but the cherry and blueberry flavors blew me away. I stir in a little--well, maybe more than a little--Hemp Plus Granola because hemp (and flax and walnuts) is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. And I need the crunch.

When I went to Whole Foods earlier this week, I was blown away at the selection of mammal milk yogurts--cow, goat and sheep milk--and the mediocre selection of soy yogurts. Like, why can't I have lemon soy yogurt (well, Silk has key lime, so I'll try that). One company that does both cow and soy yogurts made a chocolate soy yogurt, but I figured that would not do for breakfast. I'll have to go back to the tiny natural foods store to see what other flavors of Whole Soy they have. The ingredients list the healthy bacteria that are in yogurt. And the Whole Soy label says they're vegan--woohoo!

7 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    That tempeh looks tempting.

    I am singing the soy yogurt blues with you, sistah.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sounds incredible! Normally I keep canned pineapple around...I'm thinking it would probably work.
    Keep on keeping on!
    Aviian /Connally (your govegan.net compatriot)

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Teen Vegan said…

    Hello there! I've been admiring your blog for sometime and I must say you always make delicious looking food!

    It is ridiculous how limited soy yogurt is, but I know that I've seen lemon flavor - made by Whole Soy - at my local health food store. Maybe you'll get lucky too! :)

    Anyway, your pineapple tempeh looks amazing... I've got a big pineapple in the fridge just waiting to be used.

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The pineapple tempeh does look delicious, although I must confess I'm still a little scared to try tempeh. So you make your own or buy a particular brand?

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Aviian, you probably could use canned and sub the juice for another liquid. If it works, let me know. I'll probably keep using frozen becuase it's firmer than canned.

    Zuke, I buy the Lightlife Flax Tempeh. It's fairly soft coming out of the package, so I don't have to steam it. Most cooks recommend steaming tempeh, but if I'm sauteeing it, I never do.

     
  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Nice job, again, Danielle!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    I've become quite partial for Stonyfield Farms soy yogurt. The Whole Soy stuff tastes a little funky to me.

    Nonetheless, awesome recipes as usual. One day I'll make seitan, but in the meantime I'm content buying it to save time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home