Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

State of emergency?!

According to the news, a state of emergency has been declared in Washington, DC, because of all the rain we've been getting. It's more for precautionary purposes than for anything else, in case things get worse, I suppose. In fact, it's been downright stormy here, with lightning and thunder a few nights, including an unnerving thunder-and-lightning show Sunday night. We got more rain in a few hours Sunday night than we did in the entire month of May. In fact, a couple of Metro stations have flooded, and somehow, that has totally screwed up traffic and my commute. I take a bus to work every day, and go nowhere near those stations. But getting on a bus lately has been difficult, as there are long waits for buses that end up packed with people. Tonight while trying to get home, I actually walked to the stop before mine after seeing two buses pass literally packed with people. A third passed by, and I finally got on the fourth--which promptly filled up at that stop.

I am okay, though. While some people have had to evacuate or endured flooded homes, I am high and dry (ha). Living at the top of a hill in a high-rise (well, sixth floor of nine) has its advantages. I stayed dry when Isabel came through in 2003. And for all the flaws and problems of my apartment building, I have never experienced a power outage except for a few blown fuses, most of them when my ancient electrical system decided to get cranky if I heat food in the micro while I have the TV on.

Another advantage of all the rain: the temperature is not 90 degrees, although the humidity is disgustingly high.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    We are having unseasonably muggy weather in SoCal right now too... is it Global Warming???

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger t. said…

    There was a really impressive storm here yesterday as well! Nice to watch but almost scary. My area massively flooded once not too many years ago and the risk is always there...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home