Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Thursday, June 08, 2006

My millet recipe has been perfected!


A few months ago, I created a millet recipe with pine nuts, chopped dried apricots, dried cherries, coriander, and nutritional yeast. I think I got my inspiration from a Joanne Stepaniak recipe and just threw things into the millet until it seemed right. I made my favorite tofu recipe--I'm still looking for quick, easy tofu cutlet-type recipes, so if you have any or know where to find any, point me in that direction, please. I didn't have capers this time, and I added the green onions later than the recipe calls for--I am having fun playing with this recipe--and used balsamic vinegar instead of apple cider. Every time I've made this recipe, I've loved, loved, loved it.

But now, I'm feeling a little blue. I had to take my little kitty in to have her teeth cleaned. The vet recommended I take her in the night before her appointment to be put on fluids because her kidney values are not good. She's almost 15 years old, so I shouldn't be terribly surprised. I've started giving her better canned food than she had been getting before. She really loves the stinky canned stuff, but she always has her crunchies, too, for her teeth.

She's a gorgeous little tabby:


And a playful, too. When I got back from New York, after I had unpacked, I left my suitcase on my bed, and, well, she had to see where I had been and what I was doing while I was gone:


I get to pick her up tomorrow, and no doubt she'll be unhappy and feeling kind of crappy, but I'll give her lots of love. But it feels really strange to be sitting here at my computer, look over to my sofa, and not see my little kitty curled up there on her blanky. And it's going to be really weird when I go to bed and I don't have a kitty climbing up on my chest to cuddle me.

I'm really lucky to have such a lovely, affectionate kitty.

10 Comments:

  • At 4:22 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    How interesting the timing. Mattie, my adopted cocker spaniel, just had her teeth cleaned Thursday. (Check out my last couple of posts.) Timing!!!

    Hang in there, she will feel so much better and have much nicer breath and teeth. Mattie's like a new pup since I picked her up from the vet's after her teeth (and ears) cleaning... and she's 11 years old!

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dried cherries - sounds like a great combo.

    Your cat sounds like a dear. My kitty is 18 and still going strong (well sorta - I have to feed her canned food now too).

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Yeah, the docs want me to give her prescription canned food every day, but I still leave out dry for her teeth.

    She was feeling pretty crappy Friday night. She was on fluids, so she came home with a bandaged leg, and she was trying to shake it off. When I went to take it off, she struggled a bit.

    I also have to give her antibiotics twice a day for a week. Oh, what fun.

    thanks for the encouragement.

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    your kitty is so sweet!

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger t. said…

    Hey Danielle, I have gone through pet teeth cleaning so many times it is now so familiar! They just hate this procedure I think and are not really able to understand the reasons behind it!
    My doggie is 15, 16 in October and has a loooong history of entire days spent at the vet: two back surgeries, various injuries at what now... He still eats like a mighty beast though!!!

    Anyhow, I love some of your posts! Should you want to be listen on The Vegan club rolls, please drop me an email(you can find it in the abut me page)! We would love to have you over!

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger t. said…

    Danielle I did see your recipe! It looks so good and creative! All those dry fruits are so attractive to me! Would like to make it with quinoa for the contest? Would you like to re-post your recipe here for others to share?
    Let us know!

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger Jody from VegChic said…

    Poor kitty, I hope she is feeling better!

    The tofu looks great. I really enjoy your blog!

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    Sorry about your kitty. Feel better!

    I responded to your post on my blog.

     
  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Bookphilia said…

    Your kitty is indeed pretty.

    Do you want to post that millet recipe? It looks good.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    My kitty is feeling better. She's still her usual affectionate self. She also seems to be eating more, so that's a good sign.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home