Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Portabello pie


When I was an omnivore, I used to eat the frozen pot pies. They weren't that good, but they did provide a fairly quick easy meal. I've had maybe one pot pie since going vegan, from Amy's Kitchen. I was visiting family a few years ago, and veg options were limited in the grocery store, so I got the pie, and it was okay.

Tonight, I made a Portabello Pot Pie from La Dolce Vegan, but I altered the recipe a bit, doubling the crust recipe. I was hoping for a top and bottom crust (the recipe only calls for a top crust), but somehow, I only had enough for a bottom. No matter. The pie, with portabello mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, a chopped carrot, celery, and a potato, was delightful. And I think it's prettier with only the bottom crust instead of the top crust. It's probably also less likely to fall apart when you transfer from pan to plate, which is another plus. I'm going to have to look for more dinner pie recipes or maybe try to create my own because this has got to be the ultimate comfort food. In her survival guide, Living Among Meat-Eaters, Carol J. Adams opined that both mushrooms and cobblers gave her a feeling of abundance, and I can't agree more.

Here I will say that Living Among Meat-Eaters is part of the reason I'm vegan. It was a featured book for sale a few years ago in my Working Assets phone bill, and I got the book so I could be more supportive of my boyfriend, who is vegetarian and has been for well over a decade. Well, that, and being a tad grossed out by Fast Food Nation pushed me into being vegetarian. Reading about the dairy-veal connection and the way egg-laying hens are treated made me go vegan. My only regret is that I didn't kick the meat habit sooner. But it's never too late, and you're never too old to make a positive change in your life.

Anyway, I have plenty of pie left over, and if I don't polish it off over the rest of the week (along with the soup and the tempeh), I might share some with my boyfriend. Now I wonder what I should try next...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home