Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Thank goodness for three-day weekends

I think I've got the January blues. January and February can be grim months--short days, frigid weather, and not much to look forward to except the faint promise of spring. It's especially cruel because we had some nice days during the work week--temps in the 60s, unusual for January in D.C., and I was chained to my desk, working--and then Saturday, the temperature dropped some 20 or 30 degrees, and when you factor in the wind chill, it was not fun to be outside. Part of me is hoping for a snowstorm a la February '03, but since I work less than two miles from my office, I'd probably be expected to slog my way in.

Much of my weekend was rather uneventful. Tonight, after failing to find a recipe for tempeh in any of my cookbooks that grabbed me, I went online and adapted a recipe. I made a sort of lime-tamari-chili marinade, marinated the tempeh for about 10 minutes, and then cooked it up on my George Forman grill. It turned out fairly well, but the original recipe recommended steaming the tempeh, and I agree that sometimes, it pays to do that. I wish more restauarants served tempeh. A lot of would-be vegetarians are tofu-phobes (I don't know why. It's not as if tofu will bite you), but tempeh has a nice hearty texture and more resistance when you bite into it.

I am off tomorrow, for which I'm grateful. I absolutely have to do some grocery shopping because I am scraping bottom. No matter how nasty the weather, I will drag myself out of the apartment.

I hope your weekend was a pleasant one.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I've been veg for over 12 year and I just recently go into Tempeh (over the last 2 years, really). I buy the store bought and try to add it with stuff to make a dish but am always looking for more sources online for suggestions. I will have to check out that link you mention!

     
  • At 10:45 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Well, this link is just a definition of tempeh. I don't even remember where I saw the recipe, maybe on recipezaar.com. But go to www.vegweb.com for good vegan recipes.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    It took me a while to try tempeh too. I've only had it in a few things, but they were very good, like the faux chicken salad from How It All Vegan in a pita, and the tuno sandwich in La Dolce Vegan. If its just plain in stirfries, I don't like it as much.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    Danielle, I put a link to your blog on my site. Hope you don't mind :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home