Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It's good to be back

I have a good reason for not posting in a while. Something went wrong with my Blogger account, but the good folks there fixed up my problem (somehow, there was a typo in my e-mail address), and I can post again. Yay!

I've done some cooking, not a whole lot, in the past month, including a Christmas Eve chili. I was on my way home from work when I suddenly got a chili craving. I wasn't 100-percent sure Ben's Chili Bowl would be open (they have really good vegan chili fries), although they probably were, considering they're one of the few places open late at night (after a concert at the 9:30 Club, my boyfriend and I usually grab a bite there). So I went home, found a recipe for tempeh chili, cooked it up, heated up some fries, and chowed down.

Chili is one of several foods that I never ate before I went vegan. Now, I love the stuff and think nothing is better on a chilly night. Which is why I made a chili "casserole" with cornbread topping from La Dolce Vegan earlier this week that was fabulous (but I need to find a better way to drop the cornbread mix on the chili part). Yes, it has gotten cold. Saturday, the temperature got up to 70-plus degrees, and now it's in the 30s. Part of me is relieved--normal January weather--but another part of my kinda liked the warmer weather.

So tonight, I made a soup called On Golden Pond Mushroom Soup from La Dolce Vegan. Hey, I had a packet of mushrooms I needed to use, and this seemed the least time-consuming to make. I also like that it provides two Danielle-sized servings (or one hungry person serving). Normally, I don't care for creamy soups, but with some biscuits I baked up while prepping the soup, it was more like biscuits-and-mushroom gravy. I think next time I'll use a little more veggie stock and less soy milk so it's not as thick. I also don't care for the dill, so I also want to find a different herb. Maybe sage.

I'm looking at casserole recipes to make for next week--I downloaded and printed a tempeh nut casserole that looks good. And remember the Magical Loaf Studio from Vegan Lunch Box. There are thousands of possible combinations, and I won't even try to go through even half of them!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    In my pre-vegan days, I wasn't a chili fan either. It almost always gave me heartburn. Now I love it! I've been meaning to try the chili casserole from LDV.

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Was wondering where you were. Happy New Year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home