Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, February 05, 2007

Chili on a chilly night

So sorry. I was halfway through my bowl of chili fries when I realized I'd forgotten to take a picture. But it was freezing, and I thought chili would be nice for such a cold night. It got down into the 20s today, with serious wind gusts. I think NPR said we could get wind chills down near zero degrees--yikes! I ran to the Whole Foods to pick up a few things, and while waiting for the bus, my hands started hurting because of the cold and not because the bags were particularly heavy.

So on such an ugly cold night, what could be better than chili? Besides maybe a stew or hearty soup. I made tempeh chili again, but while the recipe calls for cubing the tempeh, I mash and crumble it as much as possible. It seems more "authentic" that way, although I never did have chili before I went vegan. I heated up some leftover fries and poured the chili over them. It's a very mild chili, and I am still debating how to spice it up just a bit. Maybe increase the chili powder a bit. And replace the cumin with something else.

I was a little freaked when I read about the tornadoes that tore through Central Florida last week. I was concerned because Seminole County, where I have family, was considered a state of emergency. But the storms affected the northern part of the county, while my family lives in the southern part. So I'm relieved that nobody I knew was harmed by the storm.

Speaking of storms, yesterday's Superbowl was the first one played in the rain. How a team that plays in a fershtinkiner dome beat a team who plays in all sorts of bad weather is beyond me; I watched for the commercials anyway, and they were all lame, lame, lame. Screw Superbowl commercials. Maybe next year I won't bother watching.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Harmonia said…

    Hope you are alright and the rest of your family and friends...strange weather we are all having eh? Did you hear about the 7 plus feet of snow in upstate ny? sheesh

    Stay safe!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Matt and Bobbie said…

    I love chili on these cold, cold days. I made a big pot of it last week, ate it all up, and made another pot of it tonight! It's so warming and comforting...yummy! Not to mention inexpensive and healthful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home