Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Quickie Dinner



I love a dinner you can prepare in minutes. Okay, okay, the veggies were leftovers, but still. I found a really easy seitan recipe in Simply Vegan and adapted it slightly. Basically, I sliced up a blob of seitan and sauteed it in oil with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt, then added a cup of water, some flour and nutritional yeast and simmered it to thicken the gravy. It's sort of like a salisbury steak without the mushrooms (hmmm, add 'shrooms and onions next time?). I might use more seasoning next time, though, or change it up a bit. The noodles are from a packet of Thai Kitchen Garlic and Vegetable Rice noodles that cook in one minute! Woo-hoo! It's not the greatest, but for cheap and quick, it'll do. The packet says ready in three minutes, but that's because they're taking into account the time it takes for the water to come to a boil. It makes one large or two small servings. I've had it for a while, so I don't recall just how cheap it was, although it does cost more than most (nonveg) ramen noodle packets.

Why is it so hard to find recipes that make use of seitan? Someone tell me. Every time I want to cook seitan, I'm pawing through cookbooks and websites to find something unique to do with the seitan I make. I guess I'll just have to dig out my one nonvegetarian cookbook and have fun adapting the recipes again.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Melissa said…

    The Candle Cafe cookbook seems to use seitan (Stroganoff, piccata) and tempeh a lot, although I haven't tried any of it yet.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Looks tasty. I usually find myself veganizing omni recipes. I enjoy the challenge.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    the best part about veg cooking is it CAN be done in just minutes. looks great!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home