Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, January 02, 2006

Rockin' Leftovers


Yesterday, I made scrambled tofu from a recipe in La Dolce Vegan, along with home fries from a recipe I made up on my own. I also heated up some Lightlife Smart Menu sausage patties. It was a lovely breakfast. My boyfriend is a huge fan of scrambled tofu, and I'm learning to like it. I've eaten tofu scrambles at different restaurants with varying results. The best tofu scrambles are ones where the cook doesn't crumble the tofu into practically miscroscopic particles, but soft pieces you can stick your fork into. Most tofu scrambles also have turmeric, a.k.a. poor girl's saffron, to give it a lovely yellow color and a bit of flavor.

Later in the day, we tucked into a Derby Pie, also from La Dolce Vegan!, that I made Christmas weekend. I also broke down and made a crust for the pie (in the past, I would buy a crust). The crust was flaky, and the pie was delightfully rich, almost sinfully rich. This is a pie best served warm, so the chocolate is all melty. My boyfriend is easy to please, but I know he really likes it if he wants to take some home. And this is one case where I will need help finishing the pie off, so I'm happy to let him take it home.

This morning, I finished off the tofu scramble and home fries with a couple more veggie sausage patties. And tonight, I had some leftover tofu, bulgur pilaf, and carrots with the pie as dessert. It was still good, especially the pilaf and the carrots. I think my recipe for the lemony carrots is coming together. I'm working on the proportions of the ingredients, but when I do get it worked out, I will surely find someone to send my recipe to.

And I guess I'm going to have to really stock up on the tofu, as I am really developing a taste for scrambles. Normally, I have about two containers in my freezer, but I'll just have to find room for more. Luckily, I can get three to four servings per recipe, so I have breakfasts for most of a week. The nice thing about leftovers is you can pop them in the micro and warm them up in a matter of minutes. With dinner-type leftovers, you can take them to work for lunch and save money.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Sarah Kramer said…

    Mmmmmmmmmmm Derby Pie!

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger VeganHeartDoc said…

    Your tofu scramble looks yummy! I'm a big fan of leftovers to bring to work for lunch.

    Is bulgur tough to cook? I've never worked with it before.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    For bulgur, it's two cups of liquid per cup of bulgur, and you cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home