Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, November 21, 2005

Mix-and-match Sunday dinner


Today, I cooked a couple of dishes from a Web site called Vegweb, a marvelous source for vegan recipes, submitted by site users. I found a dish called "Chicken Fried Tofu," although it's really oven-baked, and a gorgeous bulgur pilaf with carrots, celery, a chopped onion, and mushrooms. The pilaf is flavored with miso, a fermented soybean paste that is said to have super health benefits. Miso can also be rather salty, though, so should use it sparingly. And as you can see, I have some of the red cabbage and asparagus from last week, which was still quite tasty.

I also made a lovely spinach salad for my lunches this week with a chopped red onion, a chopped Granny Smith apple, and raw pine nuts. I made a simple dressing based on a recipe from "La Dolce Vegan," and I will have some lunches for this short work week. Flax oil (and ground flax seeds) is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids, and unlike fish, when you eat flax products, you don't have to worry about mercury contamination. If you use flax oil, keep it refrigerated, and do not heat it up. If you use flax seeds, keep them in the freezer to prevent spoilage.

I wish you all a happy, healthy Thanksgiving and ask that you give the turkeys something to be thankful for as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home