Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Thursday, November 17, 2005

I've taken the plunge


I never thought I'd set up a blog, but over the weekend, I took pictures of a couple of dinners I had fixed. I thought they looked so pretty, not to mention I had cooked up a storm over the weekend. I posted them on a chatboard I frequent and got comments over how good everything looked. Now, I'm no expert chef. I rely on cookbooks a lot. But I take recipes and make them my own, switching herbs, adding or subtracting minor ingredients. And usually I turn up something very tasty.

Just because you live alone, along with millions of other Americans, doesn't mean dinner has to be dull. If you're tired when you get home from work, cook on the weekends and rely on leftovers. Make side dishes and cook just the main course at night. I eat small portions, and many cookbooks have recipes that make enough to feed a family, so I almost always have leftovers, even when I cook for my boyfriend.

I'm also vegan, so I eat no meat, dairy, or eggs. Yes, I eat tofu. Prepared right, you can avoid Mushy Tofu Syndrome. It's also not bland if seasoned right. You wouldn't eat meat without seasoning it and cooking it, and it's much the same with tofu. I'm also a big fan of tempeh, a fermented soy cake that has a nutty, chewy texture and is chock-full of protein and fiber. I'm trying to cook more veggies and eat healthier, but this doesn't mean i'm giving up chocolate or chewy brownies. I'll just eat two at a time instead of four. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home