Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Monday, December 05, 2005

When my cat goes nuts, I know it's good.


I love tempeh. It's one of my favorite foods. But it's sometimes difficult to find good, creative tempeh recipes. I was on www.vegweb.com recently and printed out a bunch of recipes, one of which was Salisbury Tempeh. The carrots I made from a recipe my sister e-mailed me that she found on the Food Network. It's Glazed Carrots, and they're made with a ginger-ale based sauce. I refuse to buy sodas with high fructose corn syrup, and you need the sugar so it forms a glaze. I used Knudsen Spritzer Ginger Ale, which is sweetened with fruit juice. It tastes nice when drinking it, but it wasn't all that good for cooking. Still, the texture of the carrots is nice, even if I didn't get the flavor I was hoping for. Next time, I'll try a cane sugar-sweetened ginger ale. There are plenty out there at Whole Foods or your local natural foods store, and they taste 10 times better than Canada Dry or Schweppes.

So I was watching Monday Night Football while eating, sitting on my sofa, and my cat was next to me demanding attention, which is typical of her. It's not often I eat in front of the TV, but this was one such occasion. Whenever I do eat on the sofa, she sticks her head between me and my plate, bonks her head against me, and all but demands I share my food. She especially likes potatoes with Earth Balance margarine, so I give her a small taste while I'm eating for three seconds of peace. So tonight, when I finshed my dinner, I let her lick the gravy from the plate. Normally, she will take a small taste, but she went bonkers licking the plate. (I don't think she even goes this crazy when I have Soy Delicious.) It was quite tasty, a most interesting gravy, and I will certainly make this again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home