Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Last night, I had what must be the best New Year's Eve ever. Well, the day wasn't so hot--I was helping the local vegetarian society move offices to a new building which doesn't have an elevator--but the evening rocked.

My boyfriend and I went to a new vegetarian restaurant called Vegetate, an upscale vegetarian restaurant. They had a special menu for NYE and a one-day liquor license (a local church has been opposing a permanent liquor license). We were given a window seat overlooking 9th Street. Our meal began with a chickpea flan with a spicy basil puree. Oooh, was it delicious! I'd love to see this on the regular menu. Our second course was a choice between a white bean soup and a radicchio salad with a s'formata of root vegetables. My boyfriend chose the soup. I'm not a creamy soup person, but it did taste nice. I had the salad--radicchio is rather bitter, so maybe it shouldn't be served on its lonesome, but the s'formata was quite tasty.

For our third course, we both chose the braised tofu tower with noodles in a miso broth. Now, I like tofu, but not when it's in a big, honking block. Cut it in cubes or in slices to ensure more flavor. I wish I'd chosen the other vegan entree option, the penne, but you live, you learn. There were only two dessert choices, one of which was vegan, which was bananas with a crispy cinnamon coating and chocolate-chipotle sauce. Ohhhh, heaven. The sweet chocolate and the kicky chipotle was incredible. I have always loved the combination of fruit and chocolate. One of my favorite junk food items when I was an omni was Cella's chocolate-covered cherries (although I have found a vegan version).

Afterwards, we went to see a group called BETTY at the JCC. I thought it was going to be a performance of their show "Betty Rules," but it ended up being a concert with music from their latest album "Snowbiz," which I bought after the show. And after the show, there was a party at which we counted down to midnight, and then danced. I'm a little amazed that after hauling stuff up the stairs for half the afternoon, I could still dance, but hey, good, clean vegan living must count for something.

Roughly four years ago, I made a decision to go vegetarian. Granted, it was a growing distaste for meat, but it sort of morphed in to a moral decision, as a few months later, I made a decision to go vegan. I hope in 2006, you will make positive decisions too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home