Supper and the Single Girl

Vegan Meals and Random Thoughts

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A simple entree



It's been a while since I made this--my Puckery Pomegranate Seitan. I guess you could say it's like a vegan fessenjen--I adapted a meat recipe to seitan. Ever since it became popular, I've fallen in love with pomegranate flavoring. A bottle of pomegranate molasses lasts a good long time, but I used the last of mine tonight :(.

Anyway, here's the recipe--it's pretty simple:

2 tbsp oil

1 lb seitan, sliced

1 large onion, sliced

2 cloves garlic, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

4 tbsp pomegranate molasses

2/3 C vegetable stock

dash of sugar

1/4 cup walnuts

Saute seitan in oil on both sides until it starts to brown. Remove from the pan and keep in a warm place. Add onions, garlic, pepper, and salt and saute until onion softens. Add pomegranatet molasses, stock, salt, pepper, sugar, and walnuts and bring to boil. Add seitan back to pan and coat with sauce. Simmer until sauce thickens then serve.

If there's a Middle Eastern store in your area, you can find pomegranate molasses there. My local Whole Foods also carries it. It's actually thickened pomegranate juice, so you could technically make your own, but it's cheaper and easier to buy a bottle of the stuff. Next time I go grocery shopping, I've got to get me another bottle of that stuff.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Jerome said…

    What is fessenjen? I want a baked potato.

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Mary said…

    The recipe didn't show up...

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Matt and Bobbie said…

    I also couldn't view the recipe. Wow-pomegranite molasses sounds wonderful! The baked potato looks soooo good! So simple and comforting!

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Danielle said…

    Sorry about that. The font was small, so I fixed it to Normal, and that should have taken care of it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home